Was it a Mercy Kill? Or not?

In part 3 Carlson wanted to put Candy's dog out of his misery, and some people might think that this is a mercy killing, but others might think this was wrong of him to do.  In our world today, when an animal is suffering we take it to the vet and put the dog to sleep in a more humane way.  But since there was no vet on the farm there was no way to take the dog out of his misery in a humane way, so Carlson knew the best way to kill the dog was to shoot it. Candy was very hesitant at first so he "looked helplessly at him, for Slims opinion were law." What stood out to me was also how Slim offered his pup and told Candy that he was just making the dog suffer by keeping him alive, this stood out because Slim is introduced as someone who might be very cocky and the prince of the farm but actually he shows us that he is actually very kind and understanding.  Slim even offered Candy one of his pups to make him feel better.  In conclusion that is why I think that this was a mercy killing and they were only doing this for the dog.

Comments

  1. I totally agree with you that it was a mercy killing for the dog. If the do was really in pain it would have to suffer and they did not want that. I really like how you explained that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with you. I believe that they didn't actually want to hurt the dog, they just felt it was best to put it down. At first I thought that Carlson was mean because he wanted to kill the dog. Then later as I read on and read your blog post it helped me understand that the best way to help the dog not suffer was to kill it. I liked how you related it to life today and explained it well! Great Job Marina!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment