Lennie's Kindness

Earlier in this part of the story, George explains to Slim how kind-hearted and apologetic Lennie is and how he does not really realize his own strength. This side of Lennie really comes up in part 3 during the fight. Lennie of course never wanted any trouble, but when Curley thought that Lennie was laughing at him he, "slashed at Lennie with his left, and then smashed down his nose with a right. Lennie gave a cry of terror. Blood welled from his nose." (63) Without realizing his own strength, Lennie punches Curley but afterwards, knows that it was a mistake, "Lennie cried. 'I didn't wanna hurt him.'"(64) I believe that Lennie just really doesn't know what he is capable of and he would never intentionally hurt anyone or anything.

Comments

  1. Henley, I completely agree with you. I also think that Lennie was never truly aware of his own strengths. I think that the quotes you pulled from the book work very well to prove your point. This reminds me of the beginning of the book when Lennie accidentally killed the mice. I think that later on in the book Lennie could get himself and others in a lot of trouble by not knowing his own strength. What do you think would've happened Lennie didn’t let go of Curley?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment