Lennie's Big Mistake
The end of Of Mice and Men was very eventful. In part 5, Curley's wife went into Lennie's bunk room. They start talking and Lennie feels her hair. He likes it and keeps stroking it harshly. Curley's wife screams and Lennie covers her mouth and nose. Lennie "had done a bad thing. [He did] another bad thing" (91). Lennie had killed her!!!
Lennie did not mean to, he just did not want George to hear her scream. I believe that Lennie was just mad that Curley's wife was screaming. Lennie was scared that he would be in very big trouble so he went to hide in the brush until George came. George had said to always go there if anything happened.
All of the men want to kill Lennie but George does not. When George meets Lennie at the spot, they talk about everything that they will do in the future. Lennie sits facing the river and George is behind him. As George hears footsteps and voices of men, he "raised the gun and steadied it, and he brought the muzzle of it close to the back of Lennie's head... he pulled the trigger" (106).
I was shocked with how the book ended! I think that George did not want to kill Lennie like the others did. He felt killing Lennie himself would be the best thing to do for Lennie's sake. Do you think that this was another mercy killing or something else?
Lennie did not mean to, he just did not want George to hear her scream. I believe that Lennie was just mad that Curley's wife was screaming. Lennie was scared that he would be in very big trouble so he went to hide in the brush until George came. George had said to always go there if anything happened.
All of the men want to kill Lennie but George does not. When George meets Lennie at the spot, they talk about everything that they will do in the future. Lennie sits facing the river and George is behind him. As George hears footsteps and voices of men, he "raised the gun and steadied it, and he brought the muzzle of it close to the back of Lennie's head... he pulled the trigger" (106).
I was shocked with how the book ended! I think that George did not want to kill Lennie like the others did. He felt killing Lennie himself would be the best thing to do for Lennie's sake. Do you think that this was another mercy killing or something else?
I agree. I think that George killed Lennie out of mercy because he did not want him to suffer like the others wanted him to. I was very surprised when George lied about taking the gun away from Lennie because I feel like George would have wanted to give bring Lennie to justice and tell them that he didn't mean to kill her.
ReplyDeleteHi Kashish, this blog really made me think. I think that it was a mercy killing. All of the other men (especially Curley) wanted to make Lennie suffer when they killed him. George knew that if he killed Lennie before all of the other men got to him, he could do it quickly and painlessly. George obviously didn't want to kill Lennie but he did so Lennie would have to suffer.
ReplyDeleteHi Kashish. Your blog was very informative and you pulled out the key points of these chapters. I think this was a mercy killing because Lennie had mental issues and kept killing things because he didn't realize how big he was. He was very kind and would never ever mean to kill anyone but it was best that George killed him instead of someone else killing him. Very nice blog!
ReplyDelete