George the Leader

I got the impression that George was Lennie’s friend and caretaker early in the book. My classmates’ blogs touched upon what I was seeing. As I read Section 2, I see more clearly their relationship and George’s strength as a leader for Lennie. For example, we see that Lennie is mentally challenged. We are thankful that he has George to guide him in whatever way he can. First, George and Lennie arrive late to the bunkhouse and George jumps to their defense and explains why. He also takes on the boss and praises Lennie’s skills even though he is challenged by saying “He’s a hell of a good worker. Strong as a bull (22). “ Another example of leadership and protection is when George “lies” and says they he and Lennie are related (22). The leadership support continues when he advises Lennie to “keep away” from crazy Curley and his wife so that he doesn't get in trouble and he can continue to make money (29). These actions cement their relationship and show George as a leader. I would be happy to have him as a friend, wouldn’t you?

Comments