How Crooks' Isolation Effects Him

As we know, Crooks is black so all of the other men treat him severely different. Crooks isn't allowed in the bunk house "'Cause I'm black. They play cards in there, but I can't play because I'm black. They say I stink.'" Crooks has his own little room since the others don't want him in the bunk house. The other men think that it's not harsh because having your own room is nice, but Crooks doesn't think so, "'Must be nice to have a room all to yourself this way.'" "'Sure, said Crooks. And a manure pile under the window. Sure it's swell.'" The isolation Crooks gets from all of the others on the ranch makes Crooks very upset, angry and sad, "'A guy goes nuts if he ain't got nobody. Don't make no difference who the guy is, long's he's with you.'" Crooks is clearly very hurt by the isolation and unfair treatment he receives from everyone else on the ranch.

Comments