George's change of mind
I was intrigued in Part 5 and 6 about how George changed his mind about what was to happen to Lennie after he killed Curley's wife. in part 5, right after they found Curley's wife, George said, "'Maybe they'll lock 'im up an' be nice to 'im'"(94), but then, George ends up being the one who took Carlson's gun and shot him. I was surprised that he didn't take him in because he was talking to Candy like he was going to. I think that George killed Lennie out of kindness because if it was any of the other guys, they would have made him suffer instead of making it quick and painless.
Nice job Bea! I completely agree with your idea about how George killed Lennie out of kindness. You made a good point that if any of the other guys killed Lennie, especially somebody like Carlson or Curley would force Lennie to suffer painfully. Which is different then Lennie getting killed by his best friend. I believe that Lennie's death caused more pain to George who killed him than to Lennie.
ReplyDeleteHi Bea, I agree with you that George did it out of kindness but I also think that George knew the Lennie had become some what dangerous and it needed to stop. I think that throughout the book the author was hinting that Lennie had hurt people before they came to the farm, so when he killed Curleys' wife, George decided it was time for Lennie to stop hurting people even if it was on accident. I also thought that George decided to do it because then right before he died, George could tell him that he wasn't mad and that they would go get their farm and Lennie would die happy. I really liked reading your blog!
ReplyDeleteI thin George just realized that if they just went in an endless cycle of Lenny messing something up and then moving to another place, then Lenny would just get depressed because he keeps doing bad things. George saw what Lenny's own actions were doing to him and made the decision to kill him just so then he could be happy.
ReplyDelete