Part 6: George kills Lennie!
One thing that was very horrifying and surprising in part 6 was when George killed Lennie. Lennie had just killed Curley's wife in part 5 because he pulled her hair too hard so he snapped her neck. All of the men knew it was Lennie because he was the only man on the ranch at the time of the death. Curley was furious with Lennie and so were the rest of the men so they set out to kill him. George took things into his own hands when, "He pulled the trigger"(106). George killed Lennie so the other men didn't before him. I am very surprised that George killed him because Lennie was his best friend. They have been together for a long time so how did George get the courage to kill him? Lennie was so nice and never meant to kill anyone. Someone would have killed Lennie because he did murder a girl. I think George wanted to be the one to end his life because they were best friends. Lennie didn't deserve to die but he was going no matter who did it. What do you think, should George have killed Lennie?
Layla Daud
Layla Daud
Hi Layla! In your blog, you asked how George got the courage to kill Lennie. I think that he didn't have any other ways or resources to handle the situation of Lennie being dangerous, so he had to kill him. You also asked if I agreed with George's decision to kill Lennie. I think that nowadays this would have been very unacceptable because we have mental hospitals, therapists and other resources all around to ensure everyone is taken care of and safe. On the ranch, there were no people who were professionally trained to handle people with disabilities and so people tended to take matters into their own hands. I am not sure what else George or the other men could have done to keep Lennie and others safe from Lennie. I wish that George didn't have to resort to murdering someone, but he did. Good thinking and great blog Layla!
ReplyDeleteCheck out my blog '"Part 5&6: RIP Lennie" for more on the killing of Lennie!
Great blog Layla. I totally agree with you. It was right for George to kill Lennie because it was either, George kills Lennie, the other men kill Lennie, or Lennie goes to jail. It would be better for George to kill Lennie cause he would not be in pain and he would not fight anyone. Although it is really sad that George had to kill him it was for the best.
ReplyDeleteHi Layla spectacular blog post!! I think even though George committed murder to his best friend that it was the right thing to do. Now i'm not saying murder is good but Lennie deserved to be put out of his misery. I as well think George was the right person to commit the murder to Lennie. He was his best friend and he didn't want to torture him like the other men, he just did whats best in my opinion. Although I said it was right of George to kill Lennie, part of me was also thinking why didn't you run off into the hills and find a cave for you and Lennie to live. If they did that the other men would never find you. Also make sure to check out my cool blog, did Lennie deserve death as his punishment?
ReplyDelete