Carlson's mercy kill

     During the first part of 3, I torn about the fact that Carlson wanted to shoot Candy's dog just because the dog stunk up the bunkhouse. If I were Candy I would understand that even though the dog that has been with you for years you don't want to let go of and it's hard to yes to a mercy kill because even though it's better for the dog, It's very hard for Candy. When Carlson first walks into the bunkhouse and says "I'll shoot him for you. Then it won't be you that does it." (45) Candy eventually gives into letting Carlson kill the dog because of the fact that Slim's dog had a litter of puppies who would be better for Candy anyway because his old dog can barely function anymore, he can barely eat or drink. After Candy realizes what pain and misery his dog was in he finally agreed to let Carlson put him down.

How would you feel if someone pressured you into letting them put your dog down?

Comments

  1. Great post Anagayle! I would feel very sad and angry if someone were to suggest shooting my dog. I feel like I wouldn't have let them, but I understand where Candy is coming from. Really good thinking!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment